Every time I run a time management workshop, or coach someone on organizing their work, the biggest issue is procrastination. It is one of the most amorphous issues that we face. It is easy to do, easy to justify, hard to recognize and a very hard habit to break.
How do you know if you are a procrastinator? That is easy – everyone is! The question is not do you do it or not, the question is how guilty are you and what impact does it have on your effectiveness.
- Do you ever find yourself saying these things?
- I’ll do it tomorrow.
- So I’m getting a little over-weight! Who isn’t?
- I’m just not in the mood right now.
- I’ll go for a run tomorrow; the weather isn’t that good today.
- I’ve got plenty of time to get it done.
- What’s the point, I’ll just have to do it all over again in two days.
- It’s not like they can’t do it without me.
- I’ll leave it until the day before. I work better under pressure.
- I’m too busy doing other things
Do any of the above points sound familiar? I’ll bet you can add a few to the list without too much trouble! I know it sounds funny when you look at the issue like this but the trouble is procrastination wreaks havoc in most of our lives.
To see just how guilty you are try the following quiz.
Procrastination is covered in detail in Time Management For Students E Course and Home Study Version