If you look at the time management or planner section in any store you will see a variety of options available. There are countless more available for your laptop or online. But what is right for you?
If you are a kinesthetic learner you like to be able to see quickly how you can apply the planner and how it will work to make your life easier. You like to be able to have it have a degree of interaction that allows you to feel involved in the process. So here is what I suggest.
- Decide if you want to use a computer based planner or a paper based one. Think about the portability and ease of access when you are deciding. If you go for a computer based one you may consider whether you want to print off your planner regularly so it is handy for making quick changes.
- Have a month to view page that is a good size to be able to keep track of major events. You want to be able to add details, colors and other things that will make the information stand out for you. You want to be able to change it easily.
- Assign a specific color to a topic so you can see at a glance what your month looks like.
- Get some stickers that you can use to highlight certain recurring events to make it easy to identify, for example – a blue sticker every week for gymnastics.
- Cross off the days as they pass, that way you can quickly see where you are up to in the month and see the progression of activities and the action of doing this will give you a feeling of progression.
- Show links between tasks using lines or arrows if they are dependent on each other.
- For daily or weekly planning use the same concepts and add more detail. Keep highlighters and/or sticker handy when you are adding activities through the day.
- Pick a cover will stand out in your bag or locker so you can grab it quickly.
You may need to try a few different approaches before you get the right one of you. But using these principles, you will be able to stay effective while refining your choice.
One of the steps of my Focused Time Management System TM for Students is “Plan for success”. This step helps students develop and use their own time planning system so they can make more use of their time and cope with crunch times.
If you want to learn more about how to free up time and get more done with less stress then drop me an e mail and we can set up time to see if there is anything I can do to help.