So you have finished school for another year. You burst through the door, throw your backpack and lockers contents into the corner of the room and get on with your summer.
As summer progresses a smell starts to gather around the pile in the corner like a dark cloud gathering for a storm.
Eventually a caring parent gently suggests that perhaps you may want to consider doing something about this to prevent the room becoming a health hazard (okay, maybe it is not that gentle a suggestion – more like a threat!)
Now you have no choice – you have to go in!
Grabbing some protective equipment – gloves and a face mask are needed by this point – you carefully approach the pile, which may have developed into a life form by now. Some poking with a long pole reveals sneakers and gym gear which might have been last washed at Christmas break – they are the first to go. A spell outside may be needed before they can even be laundered!
The worst of the smell has gone, but there is still a curious odor lingering. Some more poking reveals something which might at some point have been half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Once this has been disposed of the air clears a bit more and a quick spray of Febreeze can now handle the rest.
Now for the serious business of emptying and clearing up.
Where did all this paper come from? Does anyone need 52 blue pens in their bag at one time? There’s that homework from March!
You may have been putting it off but now that you have chosen to (okay, been forced to) tackle it you might as well do it right.
- Can the backpack survive another year – if so clean it out (properly), if not throw it out.
- Are there supplies you can use next year – make a list of what you have so that when you need to shop for more you can save some time – include paper, pens etc as well as locker equipment. Store them somewhere that you will be able to find come Fall.
- Are there books, notes etc that you will need for next year? If so, make sure you put them somewhere you will be able to find them again
- Are there things you just can’t bear to throw away? Or need to keep for a portfolio. A special project, an essay or poem you wrote? Make sure you put it somewhere that will keep it safe.
- Clean the area – this will earn you some extra brownie points if you do it without being asked again!
Now you can relax and enjoy the summer again. Safe in the knowledge that nothing is going to leap out and attack you from the corner!
If you are struggling to control your time and get the results you know you are capable of then it is time to take action. The Focused Time Management System TM for Students avoids all the clutter and gives you the most important things to focus on to get you back in control of your time and your life. It’s all step by step, not a big mish mash of things. So you do step one of the system, and when you’re done with that, you move on to step two, and so on. So easy! All the tips, tools, and worksheets are handed to you on a silver platter. E mail me at Julie@thegradecoach.com to arrange a time to chat over your issues and see if I can help