Now that school has finished here is it easy to try and forget all about it till there is no other choice. But there are a few things that you can do now that will let you relax and enjoy your summer with a clear conscience. There are even some things that if done now, will save you time and give you even more summer to enjoy!
One of my previous blog entries covered clearing out your backpack before is starts to fester.
Here I want to discuss your desk. Yes, I know it is a handy spot to dump everything that you have been told to pick up off the floor, but it is also a potential time saver for you.
Your desk is, or can be, the hub of your school activities. As such it can either sit there all summer reminding you of what needs done before fall, or you can spend a little time now and sort it out while your memories are fresh and you can do the same job in half the time.
You know I love lists, so here is my list of how to tackle your desk.
- Clear clothes and non school stuff away from the desk and area. (Ideally put them away where they really belong, but I am not going to push my luck here!)
- Gather up any loose papers and notebooks and keep them to one side
- Gather up any supplies you will be able to use in the fall, put them somewhere safe
- Throw away any trash, junk, non working pens, scribbled notes you can’t read etc.
- If you have a filing system of some sort, go through it and pull out anything will not need next year.
- If you want to keep particular items for sentimental reasons put them safely away
- Consider for a few minutes what worked and did not work about how you managed your papers and your workspace last year.
- What were the loose papers and why were they lying around?
- Could you always find the papers you needed at the right time?
- Did you have enough space?
- Were your files marked clearly enough?
- What worked really well?
- What changes do you want to see for next year?
- For any changes you have decided to make, what do you need to make it happen; if you don’t need anything make the changes now and write it down somewhere you will see it come Fall.
- Go through the loose papers and file anything that you will need for next year. Throw away the rest.
- Keep the desk nice and clear over the summer and it will be a nice reminder that summer is here.
If you are struggling to control your time and get the results you know you are capable of then it is time to take action. The Focused Time Management System TM for Students avoids all the clutter and gives you the most important things to focus on to get you back in control of your time and your life. It’s all step by step, not a big mish mash of things. So you do step one of the system, and when you’re done with that, you move on to step two, and so on. So easy! All the tips, tools, and worksheets are handed to you on a silver platter. E mail me at Julie@thegradecoach.com to arrange a time to chat over your issues and see if I can help