School is out, we all jump for joy! But unfortunately we have to remember the summer schoolwork! Whether you have projects to complete, summer reading to do, book reports or assignments, most students have a certain amount they have to get through before terms starts again.
you can do it all now while you are still in school mode (okay, this is very rare!),
you can leave it all till just before you go back (much more common but leads to a lot of panic and some missed parties at the end of the summer)
or you can plan in how you are going to tackle it so you don’t feel you are working all summer, but still get through the work.
There are a number of advantages to the third approach.
- You can plan around things you really want to do
- If there is a down day it is easy to get some work done
- Your skills remain at a high level throughout the summer
- You don’t miss out on end of school or end of summer parties!
So get out your work list now and break the task into chunks.
Next think about you time and split it into red, yellow and green time.
- Red time is when you know you will not be able to work – you have activities, plans, vacations, summer job etc
- Yellow time is when you might be able to do things but you may develop plans to fill this time, it can also be time spent travelling
- Green time is when you are absolutely planning time in to get on with the work.
Use the green time to do concentrated pieces of work that require your full attention – this can be great for working through the fine details of projects, or producing a paper etc
Use the yellow time for things that can be broken into smaller chunks so you can fit them in available slots. This can be great for reading assignments, planning projects and mapping out assignments
The red time is not available for schoolwork – concentrate on the moment
By planning in the yellow and green times, you know that you don’t need to worry about the work getting done. Focus on what you are doing in the moment so you can relax and rejuvenate over the summer.
By using this color code you can quickly look over your summer plans and check that you are getting through the work, but also that you are finding enough time to relax and have fun – after all that’s what summer is all about isn’t it?