It used to be a sure sign that summer was over when all the stores put there “Back to School Sale” signs out. Now that seems to happen almost before school gets out for the summer!
While I have absolutely no desire to see summer shortened I do see a few advantages to the stores cashing in on this season.
- By lengthening the sale it surely means that there will not be the same panic in the stores when I go and buy this year’s supplies
- It means I can think about it earlier and get it off my mind
But there are a number of things you can do to help save time (and money) during the whole supply process.
- Look at last year’s lists – some schools publish lists of needed supplies on line, there may be a few tweaks by teacher or group but generally they are a good guide. If you school doesn’t publish online, ask students from the year above – loose paper or spiral notebooks, binders or accordion files. Some stores even have lists from various schools available.
- Pull out all the supplies you have now – I can’t be the only one who has 5,000 pens in my kitchen cabinet and spiral notebooks all over the house from previous years! Clear out backpacks, bedrooms, desks etc assess what you already have before you go buying more!
- Make a list of what you think you will need
- Watch the store flyers – although places like Wal-Mart and Target have great back to school sales they can be close to school going back and are usually packed with panicking families. Add to this that I for one can never go into Wal-Mart without spending a fortune on things I never even went in for! Grocery store sales can be almost as good with the advantage that you are there anyway for food! They tend to have a few things on sale at a time, so just pick up what you need from your list each time. Decide what approach meets your needs best.
- Have a supply storage area – Have a designated place that can be used for supplies. The desk and backpack should only have a few essentials. If there are too many it leads to clutter and damage. Have a place where the stock can be stored and the desk and backpack can be restocked from there.
So, avoid the crowds and save your time and money for enjoying yourselves over the summer.
If you are struggling to control your time and get the results you know you are capable of then it is time to take action. The Focused Time Management System TM for Students avoids all the clutter and gives you the most important things to focus on to get you back in control of your time and your life. It’s all step by step, not a big mish mash of things. So you do step one of the system, and when you’re done with that, you move on to step two, and so on. So easy! All the tips, tools, and worksheets are handed to you on a silver platter. E mail me at Julie@thegradecoach.com to arrange a time to chat over your issues and see if I can help